Did You Know There Are Different Types Of Smoke?
Smoke damage in a bedroom by a house fire.
Once we know what caused the fire we can start to decide on what equipment and cleaning materials to use in the effective areas. The different types of smoke are below:
Wet Smoke happens when rubber and/or plastic burn. These types of fires burn at a lower temperature than other types of fires. Since the plastic/rubber burned it will leave behind an overpowering odor and will leave behind a pasty residue.
Dry Smoke occurs when papers and wood are burning. Paper and wood burn very quickly and at a high temperature. These types of fire will cause a lot of damage to the ceilings and even into attics.
Soot smoke this type is when there is a malfunction with the furnace and HVAC system. When this happens, it will put smoke throughout the home through vents. Before cleaning and repairs can happen, the furnace will need to be replaced or repaired. Then the vents in your home can be cleaned so that left over smoke does not continue to go through your home.
When you have fire and/or smoke damage in your home don’t worry about what kind of smoke is in your home, SERVPRO of Roanoke Rapids can do that for you and repair the damages.
Pros Of Having Renters Insurance
Over 90% of homeowners have an insurance policy on their home however, less than 40% of renters have renters insurance. When a landlord owns the building or home you are living in, they most likely will only have insurance just for the structure but not what is inside.
Unfortunately, your landlord’s property insurance will not help you if a disaster were to strike. Below are a few pros to having renters insurance:
- If your personal belonging have been damaged or stolen, a basic insurance plan will reimburse you for those items.
- Damage caused by a fire or flood will be covered by a renter’s policy. Also, if your apartment or home was severely damaged and was not livable, insurance will pay or help you pay for other living arrangements.
Although you may not be a homeowner, renters insurance provides you with many protections that may be beneficial in the future or in the event of an emergency. Plans can sometimes be as low as $12 a month. Here at SERVPRO of Roanoke Rapids, we work with your insurance and here to help! Call us today – 252.537.3493
Replacing a roof truss on one of our clients homes after it had caught fire.
Many of us know fire 101 in our homes. We know not to leave an open flame such as, a candle or gas stove stop unattended. Even though we may feel comfortable with our knowledge of fire safety here are a few tips and reminders:
- Have a fire extinguisher on in your home. Fire extinguishers play a crucial role in protecting your home during the very early stages of fire.
- Avoid overloading your outlets or outlet extenders. They can easily over heat if they are being over used. Check on your outlets as often as you can. Make sure to replace any that may be getting worn out or old.
- When doing laundry, remember to empty link tray from dryer on every use. When the lint is not cleaned it can cause the dryer to heat to a higher temperature. Therefore, the machine will have to work harder and also work at a lower efficiently.
- Make sure space heaters are at least 2-3 feet away from furniture, window treatments, bedding, clothing, rugs, and other combustibles. These items can cause a risk of fire if they come in contact with the unit.
- Check to see if smoke alarms are working every month and replace batteries twice a year.
Heating your garage
With a winter that has been colder than normal, no one likes to walk out of the comfort of their warm home and into a very cold garage. A few months ago, one of our friends installed a mounted gas heater in his personal home (many other home owners and/or business owners have used space heaters as another option). The heather has made the space much more enjoyable to be in while working or just simply getting into your car. Even though heaters have many pros, there are a few cons; At times you can become anxious thinking the heater could catch fire. Here are a few tips when having a space heater in your space:
- Do not leave space heaters unattended. If you are not going to be home or going to bed turn off the heater.
- Make sure the heater is in a proper area. One that is staple and no chance of falling over.
- Be sure to check it surrounding areas, check for water or other close items that could cause a problem.
Be wary of frozen pipes
The winter weather has been different this time around for North Carolina residents. With it comes a few joys of children playing in the snow and having days off school. However, there are still plenty of dangers to look out for. Among these dangers are frozen pipes. Running water in your home can easily be taken for granted. When the water doesn’t seem to want to run through your faucets, it can leave a bigger impact on your personal home and place of business.
Pipes that are most likely to freeze are those that are the homes outdoor lines. These lines can be for something as simple as your sprinkler system. To avoid pipes from freezing or bursting here are a few tips:
- Drain water from outdoor pipes before the cold weather arrives in your area
- Monitor your pipes in your kitchen and bathrooms but leaving cabinet doors open to let warmer air circulate.
- Add additional insulation, if needed.
- Keeping your home at a consistent warm temperature 24/7
Devastated over your water damaged Family Bible or important papers?
SERVPRO of Roanoke Rapids can help when water damages your important papers! We can vacuum freeze-dry your special documents. You may want your damaged documents restored for sentimental or legal reasons. Often these documents are one-of-a-kind or are irreplaceable. These important papers include family bibles, personal/medical documents, government/business records, personnel files and blue prints.
SERVPRO Document Restoration Service uses the process of sublimation. This process takes frozen documents through temperatures and pressures that turn moisture into vapor. The result is a dry document that can be restored or reused.
Water damage may occur when a basement floods, water damage from about or water from extinguishing a fire. SERVPRO will help you decide which documents to save and which ones to discard. We will box up, freeze and ship your damages papers with the care and security they deserve.
If you have questions about water damaged documents and how we can help, call SERVPRO of Roanoke Rapids at 252-537-3473.