Tips for Preventing House Fires
As temperatures drop and the days become shorter, possible fire hazards began to present in the home. During this time, some people break out the heated, electric blankets and space heaters to stay warm and toasty. However, it is very important to use these appliances with caution. Never plug either of these items into extension cords. The heating elements in space heaters can reach up to 600 degrees Fahrenheit and generate a lot of energy, this is why they should only be plugged directly into a wall outlet. When you use an extension cord there is an increased potential that appliance can overheat and catch fire.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, it is estimated that more that 25,000 house fires are associated with the use of space heaters, resulting in about 300 deaths each year.
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when purchasing and installing a small space heater:
- Make sure to buy a newer model space that has up-to-date safety features. Also, be sure that the heater carries the Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) label.
- We recommend space heaters that are controlled by a thermostat. This will help avoid wasting energy caused by overheating a room.
- Ensure that you choose a properly sized heater for the room you are trying to heat. Most heaters come with a general sizing table.
- Your space heater should be placed on a level surface away from heavy foot traffic. Keep an eye on children and pets to make sure that stay away from the heater at all times.
- Finally, as we mentioned previously, make sure to plug the space heater directly into the wall outlet.
If you do find yourself in need for fire restoration services, make SERVPRO of Roanoke Rapids your first call. Our trained professionals will work to restore your home and life, to make it “Like it never even happened.”