How Can Your Business Prepare for a Storm?
With the Hurricane season behind us it’s likely we won’t have to worry about flooding issues for the remainder of the year – but don’t forget, we are moving into a heightened storm season. And, even if your office was safe in the past, you should note that construction of new buildings, roads or bridges does alter the flow of water, so there’s nothing wrong with always be prepared. Owning a home or business in a high-risk zone can increase the chances you’ll experience storm related issues; but, being outside of the area doesn’t mean damage isn’t possible.
We’re giving you some tips on how you can minimize or prevent damage to your home or commercial property. These tips can help you prepare and recover from possible flood damage.
Tips to Prevent Storm Damage to Your Home or Commercial Property
Before the Storm:
- Move important equipment above expected flood levels and away from doors and windows
- Inspect drains to ensure they are operating properly
- Make sure emergency building materials are ready if your business, these could include, but are not limited to, plywood, plastic sheeting, and shovels
During the Storm:
- Listen for alerts for the latest information.
- Keep your smartphone charged in case you lose power; this ensures you’re still able to receive emergency notifications or can place an emergency call.
- If you’re asked to leave, shut of all utilities and leave immediately
- Stay clear of downed electrical wires and power lines
After the Storm:
- Do not return to your business until you’ve been told it is safe to do so.
- Throw away any food that have been in contact with contaminated waters.
- Inspect your home or office for damage, and if anything has been damaged, immediately report the loss to your insurance company
And finally, if you have damage after a storm, call the team of trained professionals at SERVPRO of Roanoke Rapids assist with your restoration efforts.